Monday 23 April 2012

A trustworthy God

The verse 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding' is perhaps one of the most well known verses in the Bible.  In the Bible God is also described many times as being such things as a Rock, a Fortress, a Shelter, a strong Tower and  even a shield.

One of the most famous hymns is 'Rock of Ages, cleft for me ,let me hide myself in thee'. God is that Rock in which we can trust. He will not move away. He will not blow with the wind but will be there tomorrow and be there in a thousand years. We can trust him because he is good and though our circumstances are stormy, though our situation is a disaster we can fully rely on him to help us through.

I thank God because he is good, he  can be trusted and will not blow and sway with the wind.

Begone, unbelief, my Savior is near,
And for my relief will surely appear;
By prayer let me wrestle, and He will perform;
With Christ in the vessel, I smile at the storm.

Though dark be my way, since He is my Guide,
‘Tis mine to obey, ’tis His to provide;
Though cisterns be broken, and creatures all fail,
The word He has spoken shall surely prevail.

His love in time past forbids me to think
He’ll leave me at last in trouble to sink;
Each time He has helped me lies clearly in view,
Designed to assure me He’ll pilot me through.

Since all that I meet shall work for my good,
The bitter is sweet, the medicine food;
Though painful at present, ’twill cease before long,
And then, O how pleasant, the conqueror’s song!

John Newton

No comments: